In an age where convenience is king, the allure of universal chargers is undeniably compelling. The convenience of charging your iPhone with the Apple Watch charger is an appealing prospect, but does Apple Watch Charger Work on the iPhone?
The short answer is no, it cannot. Despite being in the same Apple family, the Apple Watch and the iPhone have different charging mechanisms and connectors. That’s where the MagSafe Duo Charger comes in.
In this article, I will unravel the magic behind the MagSafe Duo Charger, and what to look out for when venturing into the realm of third-party charging stations.
Are you ready? Let’s get started.
Learn more: Does Apple Watch Drain iPhone battery?
Can Apple Watch Charger Charge an iPhone?
You cannot charge your iPhone with a regular Apple watch charger. Apple Watches use a magnetic charging cable or dock that sticks to the back of the watch, while iPhones require a Lightning cable or a wireless pad, making the chargers incompatible.
However, you can use a dual charger like MagSafe Duo that supports both devices wirelessly. It was made by Apple to allow for the simultaneous wireless charging of two devices an iPhone and an Apple Watch.
Note that the MagSafe Duo Charger doesn’t have a designated Apple Watch charger to charge an iPhone.
Table of Contents
What it has is a dedicated spot for an iPhone and another for an Apple Watch, allowing you to charge the two devices simultaneously.
There are also other third-party wireless chargers that can charge both devices simultaneously;
- The Logitech Powered 3-in-1 Dock,
- The Rapidx Modula5 Wireless Charging System,
- The Belkin MagSafe 3-in-1 Wireless Charging Station,
- The Anker 737 MagGo Charger (3-in-1 Station).
What is MagSafe Duo Charger?
Here are some key aspects of the MagSafe Duo Charger:
- The MagSafe Duo Charger is capable of charging two devices at the same time, including AirPods, Apple Watches, and iPhones.
- This charger is designed to safely and quickly charge your iPhone (specifically models 12 and 13) and your Apple Watch.
- It has a maximum MagSafe charging output of 14W and also features a Lightning port.
- It works with all iPhone models from iPhone 8 onwards, all Apple Watch models to date, and AirPods with a wireless charging case.
- The charger is also compatible with MagSafe cases and other Qi charging devices.
Design and Portability
- The charger sports a slim design, making it an ideal travel companion.
- It folds together neatly, which is handy for when you are on the move.
How to use MagSafe Duo Charger with iPhone and Apple Watch
Follow these steps:
- Plug MagSafe Duo into a power source using the USB-C to Lightning cable provided.
- A power adapter of 20W or higher is recommended for optimal performance, although note that the power adapter is not included with the charger.
- Place your iPhone and Apple Watch on the MagSafe Duo Charger, and they will start charging automatically. The charger intelligently adjusts power delivery based on your Apple Watch or iPhone conditions.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dual Charger for iPhone and Apple Watch
These elements impact how well an iPhone charges when using an Apple watch charger:
Type of charger
Apple watch chargers stick to the watch’s back using a magnetic cable or dock. It’s different from iPhone chargers that need a USB-C to Lightning cable or a wireless pad.
The magnetic charger is for the Apple watch only, not other gadgets.
However, some chargers like the MagSafe Duo Charger, or certain third-party ones, can charge both the Apple watch and the iPhone wirelessly.
Wireless charging isn’t for all iPhones. Only models from iPhone 8 onwards have this. Older models need a cable to charge.
So, with an iPhone 8 or newer, a dual charger will work for both your Apple watch and iPhone. But, it’s a no-go for older models with an Apple watch charger.
The adapter you use matters for charging speed and efficiency. Apple watch chargers need a 5W adapter, but iPhones need a 20W adapter for best results.
A lower-wattage adapter slows down the charge and is less efficient. A higher wattage adapter speeds it up but might create more heat, which could cut down your gadgets’ battery life.
The MagSafe Duo Charger needs at least a 15W adapter to charge both gadgets together.
Your gadgets and charger’s system conditions are also crucial in the charging process. Temperature, battery level, system activity, and connected accessories can change the power delivery and optimization.
For instance, an iPhone in low power mode charges quicker than in normal mode. Also, if there’s a Lightning accessory like headphones connected to your iPhone, the wireless charging drops to 7.5W to meet regulatory standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can You Charge Your iPhone With an Apple Watch Charger?
No, an iPhone can’t charge with an Apple Watch charger as it’s specifically designed for the Apple Watch only.
2. Will the Apple Watch charger charge the iPhone 13?
The Apple Watch charger won’t charge iPhone 13. This iPhone requires Qi-certified chargers or MagSafe accessories for wireless charging.
3. How can I charge the Apple Watch from the iPhone?
Charging an Apple Watch from an iPhone directly isn’t possible. You need a separate power source and a compatible charger like the MagSafe Duo Charger.
4. Is MagSafe Duo the only dual charger for iPhone and Apple Watch?
No. You may also use other wireless dual chargers such as the Logitech Powered 3-in-1 Dock, the Rapidx Modula5 Wireless Charging System, the Belkin MagSafe 3-in-1 Wireless Charging Station, and the Anker 737 MagGo Charger (3-in-1 Station).
While the idea of using an Apple Watch charger for your iPhone is enticing, it’s not feasible due to different charging designs.
However, a solution like the MagSafe Duo Charger or several third-party options mentioned bridges this gap, facilitating the simultaneous charging of both your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Now that you’re informed about dual charging, take a moment to explore my next article to discover if you can double the magic by using your Apple Watch as a Magic Band.